Picture this: You received a beautiful floral arrangement from your loved one, but it begins to wilt after just a few days. What should you do? You don’t want to toss them out, but you also don’t want to display dying flowers in your home.
The good news is that you may be able to bring them back to life by following a few simple tips from your same-day flower delivery service. Here’s how you can restore your bouquet to like-new condition:
- Snip the stems: If your flowers are dying, it could be because the stem has dried out and the plant is no longer absorbing water. Slice an inch off the bottom of the stem at a 45-degree angle to ensure the flowers can start drinking water once again. We recommend recutting the stems as soon as you get the arrangement.
- Remove dried blooms: Some flowers in the bouquet will start to die before others. You’ll want to remove these dying blooms from the vase as soon as you realize they’re beyond saving. Those dying flowers are taking water and nutrients from the blooms that are still healthy, leading to the premature death of the entire bouquet.
- Clean the vase: Bacteria growth in the water is another leading cause of a wilting floral arrangement. Instead of keeping your bouquet in that same old, dirty water, be sure to drain the water every few days and thoroughly clean the vase with soap and water. This step can keep your flowers alive for a few more days or even weeks.
- Use sugar: Sugar gives humans a little pick-me-up, and it also works for flowers you receive from a same-day flower delivery service. After refilling your vase with fresh water, add a teaspoon of sugar to the vase, and watch them perk right up. You can also add a little bit of sugar to the flower heads for an extra boost.
There are a few things you can do to prevent wilting before it even begins. Follow these tips, and you may not even have to worry about the pointers above:
- Watch where you display them: Flowers are fickle and don’t like being in areas that are too hot or too cold. Avoid putting your flowers in a window—the direct sunlight will only speed up the drying process. Additionally, keep them away from fans or air vents where they’ll get too cold.
- Put them in lukewarm water: Your arrangement should never be placed in water that’s too cold. Putting them in a vase filled with lukewarm water helps the stems absorb more water, allowing the flower blooms to receive more water at a faster rate.
We carry the best flowers in town
To help ensure your floral arrangements last for as long as possible, be sure to shop at It’s Just For You. Call us for same-day flower delivery, or visit our shop to check out our selection. If you’re having trouble deciding, just let our friendly staff members create a custom bouquet for your loved one.